badge

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Do Nothing




Many of those who are addicted to writing sometimes feel that there is a vacuum around  and nothing specific to write about. The situation is just the same as after having a very busy work schedule , sometimes one faces a situation that there is very little to do! Those who are workaholics find this particularly difficult to handle. Getting a subject to write about could at times be challenging! Many of you would wonder how this can be so, when there is so much happening around us. The country is in the midst of a national election and the leaders of different political hues are crying hoarse about how good they and their candidates, and deserve our votes! There is a plane which is lost for over a month with more than two hundred passengers on board, of which no concrete trace has been found till date! But all this is there on the news channels and we have bloggers who can take a dig at any politician in every post, outshining the previous one! There are experts who can write humor even on most mundane situations to tickle the ribs! Those who write poetry can churn out a rhyme on almost any subject.

For me a break from writing happens when I am too preoccupied in office which does happen once in a while or I am traveling leaving little time to express my thoughts in a post! There are times I feel doing nothing is also doing something which many wise people call as ‘wasting time’! Every machine designed by human needs to take a rest for maintenance and upkeep, to add longevity! We humans are no different. There are times when the body and mind just need to switch off and enjoy the peace around. Staring at the sky to watch the migratory birds in a flight, hearing the cuckoo heralding the onset of mango season soon, or just listening to an old melody can be really soothing! The state is sublime and free from worries!

It is said that an empty mind is a devil’s workshop but then for most of us the state of emptiness is transitory and not long drawn. So the likelihood of devil manipulating it is remote! Ernest Hemingway said ’I learned never to empty the well of my writing, but always to stop when there was still something there in the deep part of the well, and let it refill at night from the springs that fed it.’

PS: Image Kind Courtesy Google


43 comments:

  1. Yes, I need to switch off and enjoy the peace when I'm pretty busy. In my case, When I was young, pretty busy was ok, I had flexibility but rately I got obstinate or likely to be influenced by preconceived ideas.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly... peace is so desired once in a while, Sarah!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I need to switch off from writing, its then I catch up with all my reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly... reading up is so important Rachna:)

      Delete
  3. very true! I also switch off from writing if I am busy in office or with family as I can't write anything until I am free from all the worries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton, Ratna to be able to relate to this:)

      Delete
  4. Doing nothing is required for workoholics like myself, I am right now in that mode! Though it is making me restless, I am getting a new perspective about what I really need to do to grow further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Switching off once in a while is rejuvenating!

      Delete
  5. At one time every one gets such a feeling!! Every thing needs rest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have doing nothing forever scribbled in my head...I think I will never get over being lazy..:P
    Besides what you have mentioned in the first para, happens more often than possible with me, I start thinking about what to write, and end up just reading and sleeping...its funny how the world around is full of topics n I cant think beyond anything other than ice creams..:( :( I wonder at times what inspires people to write.. about work, about life, about anything, while I end up staring at the blank screen when I try to write..:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha... nice Jemina! At least you have ice creams to think about:)

      Delete
  7. Hi Rahul, I think sometimes its important to have nothing on ones mind, just to free yourself from daily stresses and worries. I hope the elections are going well in your country and everything that has been promised by the politicians will be delivered. I am thankful for your comment. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! Elections are in full swing and hope we have better governance after new government takes over! Have a lovely week ahead!

      Delete
  8. I do that a lot of times too, helps me recharge my batteries and come back with a fresh lease of energy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Writing is like an addiction. When you have nothing to say, you feel empty inside.

    With me, a writer's block is something I deal with every few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way you write, it does not appear you have a writer's block, Purba:)

      Delete
  10. Doing nothing is important to energize. I was reading an article on men's psychology and it seems they have a "nothing box" in their brain where they go sit when things are chaotic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Bindu! Switching off once in a while is relaxing indeed!

      Delete
  11. Writing gives peace! what else do I need??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am feeling bliss after reading your post. :) and thats because how true that we all go through this phase and the most wanted "do nothing" time becomes totally unexplainable to others!!!

    wow you have justified it :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ramya! Am happy that I found support even in not doing anything:)

      Delete
  13. Doing nothing is essential sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I certainly hope some fresh air will blow through the mind to clear some old cobwebs, Ashwini:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am feeling the exact same way. The desire to blog frequently and engage with others is just not there. I guess, breaks are necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha... Alka, something in the air I guess :) Thanks!

      Delete
  16. Rahul,my expression to it a bit different.
    I used to write almost 4-5 times a month.Now,I take a break by writing selectively and not as often as I used to.However,there atr bloggers who I follow religiously and read their blogs regular to be in touch and of course to gain knowledge

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have developed this habit of taking breaks as often as I can to keep my sanity in check. I read....or exercise to keep my mind in control (if I may say so )...

    (Thank you for your comment Rahul ji)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice to see you back Chintan:) I think I need to take cue from you!

      Delete
  18. That's a good one -- the Hemingway quote.
    And that image up there -- my dream to-do list. ;) With so much happening here (with baby No. 2 and all), I've to stall some of my chores if I have to sit down and so some blogging. :) My head is so full of subjects for posts; I really could do with a few more hours to my day. :D

    I hope you are doing well, Mr. Bhatia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you are far too busy now Divya with a new arrival in family! Priorities keep changing but it is always a pleasure to read your blogs:)

      Delete
  19. It happens to all of us. If I have nothing to write on the blog, I don't blog. Of course, writing is my profession so I write almost everyday. Hope all is good at your end, Rahul!

    ReplyDelete
  20. See, you were able to write something about not able to/not feel like writing! This post itself is a good writing!

    I loved the Hemingway lines! I write once a week or once in 10 days, but if I start writing it is very difficult to make it a short post! It is always a Ramayana long post...you know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. There is always something good about nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's been like that for the past couple of months Rahul. Handling an infant and a dive year old is eating all my energy and if in case I manage to find some time, my mind seems blank !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still you managed to read this Jaishree so need to thank you from the bottom of my heart and bless the young ones:)

      Delete